Finally got the skirt fronts attached to the bodice fronts. Took me all friggin’ day, not sure why. Probably because I fuss and fuss and do and re-do over and over again. I wonder what it would be like to just slap something together and say, There! Done! and not notice the slightest wonkiness and waste the day trying to get rid of it. I just can’t do it. I’m not even a perfectionist (obviously, I’m a total slob and nothing I’ve ever made has been “perfect.”) So I don’t know why I can’t just get on with the project instead of miring up getting rid of a wrinkle or whatever. I’m not even successful! I just waste days trying to get it right. Oh well.
Firstly, I had to drape the angle of the cut along the waistline– I never get it right and end up removing inches and inches so it will lay nice and neat and not buckle. I finger-pressed it so I would have a nice guideline I knew would be right.
Then I folded the front edge under to try to achieve that perfect angle that shows off the underskirt, but not too much! I like it when they angle out like that.
Look at how much I had to fold under to get that angle! Sheesh! I don’t trim it away, I like the weight of it under the furbelows, keeps it from buckling.
Sewing the beaded trim onto thin strips for the front furbelows. Miles and miles of it, it seems. I hope I don’t run out, that would be really horrible if I do. I’ll cry. So far so good, though.
I wonder what it would be like to know exactly how much you need? I ususally have no idea. I just look at it and say, yeah, that’ll do. Sometimes it bites me in the ass. *please please not this time!*fingers crossed*
I got stuck and couldn’t do anything more until I got some interfacing for under the furbelows. Off to Joann’s I went! I like going to Joann. I know it’s a big cheesy cheapie chain store, but they have saved my butt many a time, plus I just love wandering around looking at all the goodies and patterns. I usually buy stuff online or from wholesalers, so it’s kind of fun to actually go “shopping.” I got some cotton fusible interfacing. I’ve never used it before, so I hope it doesn’t bubble out and destroy my hard work. *please please not this time!*fingers crossed*
With the facing folded over it:
Checking it out, making sure it’s nice and flat with a crisp edge.
Pinning the main waist seam…
…after sewing that on, flipping it around and sewing the facing to the other side…
And pop it right side out and voila! A waist seam.
Inside the waist seam, the facing covers up most of the ugly snipped raw edges. I have to make the bodice so it can be easily altered, so I can’t really cover up the waist seams on the inside.
Marking down the front for furbelow attachment points.
All furbelowed up! I used the same method I described in an earlier post: pleat, tack, flip, repeat.
I wanted ALL the furbelows on today, but my fussiness had other ideas and I only managed this. Always tomorrow!