There is a distinct possibility that I will be able to attend Costume College next year, and have decided to join the Court Ensembles Project created by Kendra over at Demode Couture. So many people have already staked claims to so many amazing gowns! I hope they all come into fruition, because wouldn’t that just be amazing?
Anyway, Here is the gown I have chosen to emulate:
Isn’t it gorgeous?! I have been loving it for quite a while now, and finally have an “excuse” to make it! It’s sitting in the Museum of London, and I wish I could find better photos of it, but so far, no– just tiny ones. I suppose I could buy a copy, and it may come to that!
I have no idea what color it will be, but I love fabric shopping so it will be super fun to find just the right thing! I have a lot of time to make this dress, and yet no time at all. Must stay organized and progressive!
I have sleeves!
They are not yet attached to the main gown, but will be tomorrow. I began to set them, scoffing at the people who call sleeves sleevils. And you know what happened? THEY TURNED SLEEVIL. It’s really awkward getting in there and I kept catching the lining in the seam allowance and enough was enough. Tomorrow I’ll tackle it with a fresh head.
Finally got the skirt fronts attached to the bodice fronts. Took me all friggin’ day, not sure why. Probably because I fuss and fuss and do and re-do over and over again. I wonder what it would be like to just slap something together and say, There! Done! and not notice the slightest wonkiness and waste the day trying to get rid of it. I just can’t do it. I’m not even a perfectionist (obviously, I’m a total slob and nothing I’ve ever made has been “perfect.”) So I don’t know why I can’t just get on with the project instead of miring up getting rid of a wrinkle or whatever. I’m not even successful! I just waste days trying to get it right. Oh well.
It took me days and days and days to finish this– end of summer with school looming next week is always a time sucker. Darn kids neeeding clothes and haircuts and school supplies and such. Earlier in the summer I thought I could FOR SURE get these two gowns done– ha! What a joke on me that was. Oh well, there is really no due date, I just want to get them done ASAP… so I will keep plugging along, even if it takes me days and days.
If you are looking for an authentic way to put together a historical Robe a la Francaise, you will be disappointed in me. I am cobbling this bodice together with a method I made up with no thought to historicality at all. The gown is for a dancer, so she needs to be able to dress herself and not wear any stays. This is what I came up with to accomodate her needs.
Crosspost from my LiveJournal Dress Diary 5/27/2013
Here is the underskirt of the second gown I am making for my dear friend Lucia, who is a historical dancer, artist and party organizer in Italy. I LOVE IT! Wow did it turn out nice. It is a violet dupioni silk– a fairly rough weave, but I don’t care, it’s pretty.
Crosspost from my LiveJournal Dress Diary 11/14/2012
I was in such a rush to get this to Jamie that the procedure photos really suffered, and the final photos were so hurried the overgown isn’t even centered over the underskirt. *facepalm* But, the important thing is that it is DONE and it is GONE. I’m a little sad that I didn’t have more time to fuss with it, and make sure all was tidy and perfect—but scrambling to finish on time left some finishing touches to suffer. Hopefully Jamie will be forgiving if she detects any jackassery.